New York / Uncategorized

On the Road

The long awaited “we’re busting out of here” day arrived last week.  M and I had a whirlwind morning which began with the 8 am delivery of a furniture piece, collecting the essential tools and supplies from the woodshop that we’d need down at the farm right away, and the speedy packing up of our car (only had the parking meter for 28 minutes) and then finally hit the road at 11:45 am.

Of course it couldn’t be a clean getaway… I had to join a business conference call at noon.  I didn’t exactly relish the idea of taking the call from the road so we parked the car near the waterfront in Williamsburg.  There I was taking notes and chiming in every now and again on the call when suddenly the black car service Suburban parked ahead of us started backing up…and didn’t stop.  He backed right into our car. Thanks cabbie. It would seem that sooner or later anyone driving in New York has an altercation with a taxi — way to send us off with a bang.

We spent a day with M’s parents loading up everything we needed to bring down to the farm on this trip, which included about 6 gigantic logs which my aspiring lumberjack husband will soon be milling into fine lumber.  At 3 am the next day we drove off into the sunrise (actually we were well into New Jersey before there was any sunrising).  Following Mom & Dad G towing the 2 ton load of trees, we were keeping an eye on the trailer and such.  We pulled off at the first rest area on the Jersey Turnpike to refresh our coffee mugs and lo-and-behold that loud pop we had heard back on the BQE had in fact been one of the trailer tires which was now partially bare.  Pit stop #1.

As we waited for the mechanics to jack up the trailer and change the tire, Mom G recounted a story of the last time they hauled a load of lumber from New York down to the farm: Back when the house was still merely a shell (in the 90s), they loaded that trailer with all the lumber to build the beams and decking in the house.  It was a long drive with an overly heavy load and three rascally boys, and Dad G kept nearly silent the whole trip.  If it hadn’t been raining that day, so he says, those tires would surely have been too hot and they could have had a real blowout.  I can’t say it surprises me anymore when I hear stories like this; it shows you a little something about the family spirit.

Nonetheless, here we were, changing a blown tire at 5 am.  Those rest area mechanics make quick work, though, and we were soon rolling back onto the turnpike.  M and I now took more seriously our job as trailer monitors, and it wasn’t too long before we noticed that that the new tire was looking rather droopy compared to the others.  When we stopped an hour later to refuel we realized that the mechanic hadn’t replaced the valve which was now leaking and had we not stopped, that tire could have kept hissing until the tire was no more.  Pit stop #2.  Thankfully, by now (6:30 am) it had begun to rain so hopefully our chances of tire catastrophe were reduced…no more pit stops.

The remaining trip was largely uneventful, save for an eye opening stop at the Tractor Supply store in Delaware, where we found Levis for $1 (?!?), some canning supplies and M was outfitted with a proper pair of work boots…waterproof, even : )

We made it to the farm in time for lunch, and to get straight to work.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s